Preview: Battle for Greyport



No time for drinks when the tavern is burning down! Save the city in this co-op fantasy deck building game for 2-4 adventurers!

I'm struggling with where to start with this preview, I enjoy so many parts of this that it was almost a no brainer to join the campaign.   The art work is on par with the aft that the fans know and enjoy.  I think it would be a complete fail if they choose a different style.

But there's more to any game than art.

As a co-op game that plays 2-4, it brings up my usual thought: If it's a co-op game, why can't I play it by myself?  Although I do argue with myself from time to time, usually I play nice when it's just me.  But that's a bigger question for another day. Only you can decide if a co-op game works with your gaming group.  Mine tends to like them.

It happens to me all the time, I'm on my way to my favorite drinking hole, Red Dragon Inn, and I'm asked to do something more interesting.  I think they made a movie around this theme, "Funny thing happened to me on the way to the Forum". But not so funny, the city is under attack.

There's lots of replay here, with more locations, boss and monsters. As with any fantasy game, there is the randomness oh who you meet and what you want to do with them.

You can fight monsters that are attacking you, and then also attack those that are attacking the city. It makes for a fun sequence of events that seems somewhat "realistic".   I put that in quotes because this is a fantasy game after all.

But it makes sense, if the city really was being attacked, some of the bad guys would attack me and my group, where others would be intent on ripping the city to shreds.

There are two versions of the game, a normal and a Collector's Edition.  If you have the swag, go for the collectors.

There are the usual stretch goals, and that's a good thing in card games.  Games like this can be made cheaply, but from the looks of things, I'd say cheap is not what they were going for.  The stretch goals add to the amount of the game, not the scope.  Meaning, we get more of what attracted us to the game in the first place, not new game play that changes what we like to do.


Following the big trend in these types of Kickstarter campaigns, there are social goals as well.


You can see them all detailed below.  Be aware that as time goes on, these goals are unlocked so the graphic below doesn't even come close to representing the current state of things.

The premise is simple enough that I can see a lot of fun playing this game. One of my favorite D&D memories is defending the wall of a city. I was a Magic User with a knife... doesn't get much better than that.


I do wonder what adventures lay ahead for us in this game.
Only one way to find out, back the game like I have by clicking the link below.



Click this link to go directly to the campaign:

You can play this game, or any game, but it's best to make a reservation!
Click the game board to learn how. Game Rustlers Sign In

No comments:

Post a Comment