Preview: Dresden Files




Play Harry Dresden & his friends in this tense, strategic co-op card game from Evil Hat, based on Jim Butcher's NYT bestselling novels!

I like this game. I have a lot more to say on the topic, but I wanted that to be the lead.  There's a lot going on here and since I have not read the books, some of it is over my head.  If I could dig up a complaint, that would be it.  The campaign is off putting a bit because there are a few "I wonder what that is in reference to...", a nice version of "WTF".

But if you take the time to watch the videos, most of it makes sense and I think not bring a fan of the books, yet, isn't that big of an issue. And if we think about it, that's a good thing.  If a game depends on the license it's based on to be fun, at the core it's not a good game.

That is NOT the case here.  A lot of thought has been out into making this a great game, and of course that shows.  If you have that skeptical look on your face, I understand but please do keep reading.

First let' take a look at the contents. That's a lot of stuff!  Each player gets a small board for record keeping, there's dice, nice tray to keep things organized and player decks.  The art looks to fit with the genre and the book art. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the layout, it's a fine line between being able to identify the type of card, the color at the top, and fitting with the overall look of the card.  We'll have to see how this looks in the final printing.





Let's just say, you get a lot of stuff.  And that's really important in a co-op game.  With a lower number of cards I think the replay would be minimal, so I'm glad to see a lot of stuff.

Each player takes on the role, no it's not an RPG, of one of the characters from the books.  One of you is always Harry Dresden because well, he's the hero of the books.  Know of a Sherlock Holmes game without Sherlock?  Of course not.

The players work together to solve one of the cases from the books.  There are 13 cases included, with expansions already thought out. Here is a case where having NOT read the books might be a good thing.  I have NO idea what the 13 cases are and so I'll be as surprised as anyone with the twists and turns. Lucky me. :)

There are of course stretch goals, we get scared if there aren't any.  The unlocked items don't mean much to me since I have not read the books, but I'm sensing that these are all cool things. I suggest that you head on over to the campaign to really get a sense of the stretch goals and how they'll add value to the game.

There are 3 expansions, you can see some of the art below in this post. I'm glad to see these as it helps to know that there is expanded replay value beyond the original game. Once you have solved a case, sometimes you're not as motivated to try that same case again.  If you have played any of the great, and not so great, Sherlock Holmes games than you know what I'm talking about.

In view of all of this, this game is a little bit more of a risk that we usually take around here, but the fan base is rabid, and sometimes you just have to take a chance.  We'll be doing a Review when the game lands in March of 2017. 

Until then, click the link before to head on over to the campaign and see what all the fuss is about.


The expansions:



You can play this game, or any game, but it's best to make a reservation!
Click the game board to learn how. Game Rustlers Sign In

No comments:

Post a Comment