Preview: TAK



Tak is a new abstract strategy game created by James Ernest and Patrick Rothfuss, based on the game in The Wise Man's Fear.

Faith is defined as believe in something that is unproven, or not able to prove it.  I have FAITH in James Ernest. He's made several great games, is in the Hall of Fame, and can take an idea in a off-hand conversation, or a detail in a book, and make a game out of it.

One could argue that his "thing" is making abstract games.  Here's another one.

It's based on a game played in a fiction book by Patrick Rothfuss, who you may recognize if you are a fane, as we are here at the ranch, of TableTop with Will Weaton. He's been a guest there and always enjoyable.

I can say it, I have FAITH that a game born of two very creative minds will have balanced game play, and an inventive style.  I enjoy games that make me think beyond the board in front of me, and that is what appears to be the case here.

Plus, it's wood. And you know we love wood pieces in games.

In one of the many updates, so far, there appears to be talk about a cloth map as an add-on, and I think that's a great idea.

The game play seems simple to understand, you'e building a road from one side of the board to the other, while the other player is trying to do the same thing, with blocking always an option.

We should call this type of game: "We do, we block". We have the same goal, every turn I can try to reach the goal or try to stop you, as a genre. I think I've designed a couple of those myself.

The pieces are wood and they look great.  The important part of this type of game is to be able to tell one piece easily from another piece. Clearly this was thought about and solved with the piece design.

I don't believe you have to be a fan of Patrick Rothfus, or have read his book to understand or enjoy this game.  And that's the highest praise I can offer before actually playing the game myself.
Of course, I COULD play it right now, there are rules to download and pieces are easy enough to make.  They actually encourage that in their stretch goals, which are a little unique.

They want 55 of us to take pictures of our home made games and send them in.  That will unlock some other stretch goal.  I'm not sure I'm a fan of the list of stretch goals, when I don't know what the goals are.  But I think the logic here is that when something is achieved, the next stretch goal is unlocked. That sounds like it's own game.

One wonders what the 10 TAK recipes will be...

I think we're finding out that their creativity doesn't stop when the game was designed.  They seem to be adding things as we go, not a bad thing, but it does require you to check back often and definitely before the end of the campaign. There will be things to add on and to adjust at the last minute.

As of this writing, they're WAY past their funding goal, almost 10 times past, and so that's not a worry.  I think you should doas I have done and back this title.

Clink the link here to go right to the campaign:


















You can play this game, or any game, but it's best to make a reservation!
Click the game board to learn how. Game Rustlers Sign In

No comments:

Post a Comment