Preview: Land of Yeld RPG



The Magical Land of Yeld is an all ages tabletop role playing game based on the fantasy world of the popular comic Modest Medusa.

When my sister evaluates Magic: The Gathering cards, she counts the number of "if's". If this situation and if I have this other card... as a way to decide if she wants the card or not.  The number is usually 3 and she does't want it in her deck.

This is my situation with this Preview, if you're a fan of the comic, then you already know all I can tell you about Yeld, or even more.  If you're not a fan, then I doubt anything I can tell you would make you a fan, go look at the comic to decide if you like the world.

They do a MUCH better job of selling the idea of Yeld than I can in this Preview.

So I would have to say my Preview is for those that want a roleplaying game that isn't heavy and dramatic. Maybe you want to introduce the idea of roleplaying to kids, or adults who react poorly when you say "ROLE-PLAYING GAME".  As if suddenly they're not part of the cool kids at school any more.

Of course that's not true, they'll always be cool.

So why THIS RPG as an intro?

I think I can make a case for that.  Role-playing games are not an easy concept to teach.  The idea that we sit around the table, and talk, doesn't usually set the world on fire in the minds of new gamers. But what does get them excited, is talking about the long tales, the stories of the entire adventure from some previous game night.

And I think that's where this game shines the brightest.

The source material isn't just words, but glorious pictures, that not only show the depth of the world, but also teaches the rules.  Even if you know nothing about the world, you can pick up this game and play it easily.

Here is one example of what I'm talking about. Using Magic is a graphic from the campaign that shows a little bit about how new players can learn the game. Using art that the player is either familiar with or is at least approachable, is a reason to have this game in your library.

It has long been said that Catan is a gateway board game.  In my opinion Yeld will be a great gateway game for RPGs.

This game is not difficult, meant for all ages, uses art for instruction, has online reference material in the comic, all that tells me that this is a game I want to have in my back pocket when I want to introduce the concept of RPGs to new gamers and that's what I mean by calling it a gateway game.

As with all RPGs, game play really depends on the story and the person running the game.  As you can see from the graphic here, the use of a D6 implies easy to learn and play game. The examples are given in a character art method, which means to me that the game master will have to be equally descriptive.  They'll have help because when an opponent is presented, most likely there is an example piece of art.

One thing I noticed for gameplay, there is an emphasis on a team approach.  One player character acts, then the next character is picked the character who just acted.That means the actions order is controlled by the players, not by a random dice roll. I love that!  Now the players control the strategy of the order of attacking. One life lesson to be learned by new players, work together for the common good.  

The game starts with each player taking on the role of a 7 to 12 year boy or girl.  This is an important frame of mind to put new players in. They don't have to imagine that they're an Orc, or an Elf or some fantasy creature that is to much of a stretch for them early on in learning RPGs.  Don't throw 10 changes at players who are first learning how to role play, keep it simple.  At some point we were all 7 to 12 years old. Some of you are stuck at that age, admit it.

We then take on simple personality types, brat or know it all.  These concepts are easy to understand even for those that were only children. From there the players can take on a job that is best suited for their personality type. Of course, we can always change jobs... I think there are entire books written about changing careers, but I digress.

At age 13, things change. I'm sure that all parents reading this are nodding their heads in agreement.

At age 13, the players turn sides, and become monsters.  I say turn rather than change sides, because the players actually turn into bad guys.  We'll have to see how that plays out, but I like the idea.

Another idea from the campaign, the Game Master role switches each session to a new person who had been a player in the previous session.  The current players give suggestions about the next session, giving the new GM a place to start.  Again, team play, learning social interactions, good things that we all need to be better at.

There's a lot of potential here and it's all backed up with cool art.  This is the kind of game you need to have on your bookshelf for those rainy days when there's nothing to do and the kids can't go outside.  Time to use the imagination muscle and explore the world of Yeld.

Do as we have done, and back this campaign!

It doesn't require magic, just click the link to back this campaign.


You can play this game, or any game, but it's best to make a reservation!
Click the game board to learn how. Game Rustlers Sign In

No comments:

Post a Comment